AirYorkPLUS is the wireless access service available at York University, featuring:
- Single sign on: once you configure your Wi-Fi client (laptop or tablet computer, smartphone, etc.) with your Passport York credentials, the client will automatically connect to AirYorkPLUS as soon as it is within range of an AirYorkPLUS access point.
- Security: network traffic is encrypted between the client and the AirYorkPLUS access point.
- Better performance in high-density settings such as lecture halls and libraries where many Wi-Fi clients are active simultaneously.
IMPORTANT: Most performance improvement are available only to Wi-Fi devices with dual-band radios. For further details, please consult UIT's recommendations on selecting/purchasing a Wi-Fi client device for use on-campus at York.
How do I get it?
- If you encounter any problems then please run the AirYorkPLUS Setup Application ( Windows Operating Systems only).This is a UIT approved script that will automatically configure the necessary settings on the device.
- Configure your computer or wireless device & connect to AirYorkPLUS:
How do I get help?
- My Passport York login works on other web applications. Why do I get invalid password error when trying to connect to AirYorkPLUS?
- If you have not changed your password in over a year you may need to change it now. Follow the instructions below to change your password:
- Close all open browser windows.
- Start up web browser and go to mms.yorku.ca
- Click on the check box beside "Click this box before logging into to change your Passport York password". Log in using your current Passport York username and password. Follow the prompts to change password. Note: Password can only be 7 or 8 characters long and may not contain a semi-colon (;) or double quotes (").
- Wait around 10 minutes before connecting to AirYorkPLUS.
- This is due to a mis-configured Wi-Fi client profile. Delete the Wi-Fi profile for AirYorkPLUS from your device and then recreate it.
- Use the the AirYorkPLUS Setup Application tool if your computer is MS-Windows.
If you see the following message, it means you have not followed the AirYorkPLUS configuration instructions fully. However, you can still connect to AirYorkPLUS and not see this message again by clicking on the Details arrow and verifying the following:
Radius Server: authenticate.yorku.ca
Root CA: GlobalSign Root CA
Once verified, click Connect.
For best performance, particularly In high-density settings such as lecture halls and libraries, you need to ensure that the Wi-Fi radio in your client device is capable of supporting the performance features of AirYorkPLUS. Your experience of Wi-Fi performance on-campus may suffer if your wireless client device cannot operate in the 5 GHz radio band, and if it does not support the IEEE 802.11n protocol. For more information on how to achieve optimal Wi-Fi speeds at York, please consult UIT's recommendations on selecting / purchasing a Wi-Fi client device.
UIT no-longer supports the use of 802.11b Wi-Fi. The 802.11b protocol is very inefficient at sharing the radio channel among many concurrent users of the network. The presence of active 802.11b clients reduces network performance for all other users of Wi-Fi. Because of the of high-densities of Wi-Fi clients on-campus, 802.11b is not suited for use at York.
- Contact the helpdesk at email@example.com