Instructions for York instructors
Turnitin is an Internet-based service created at the University of California, Berkeley. Essentially, Turnitin scans submitted works for similarity to material in public web sites, academic journals, papers purchased from essay mills, and essays and assignments concurrently or previously submitted to Turnitin that are stored in its database.
Turnitin: First time registration
Before using Turnitin, instructors must first obtain a valid Turnitin account ID and Turnitin join password from firstname.lastname@example.org. You must send the request from a York email address. If your name is not listed in York Atlas we will first have to confirm with your department. Once you've received your account ID and password you may use the instructions that follow to complete the registration process.
- Connect to http://turnitin.com.
- Click the create account link at the top-right of the page.
- At the following page click on Instructor.
- Type in the Turnitin Account ID and Turnitin Join Password that was provided by email@example.com and other required information. Click Next.
- Type in your email address. Important: this will be your Turnitin username when you log in.
- Type in a new password in both the password and confirmation fields. Click Next.
- Select a secret question and type your answer in the field. Click Next.
- Type in your first and last name. Click Next.
- Read the user agreement. You must agree to continue and create your profile. Click I agree.
- The creation of your user profile should be completed. You can now proceed with setting up your classes on Turnitin by logging in and creating your class manually, or by using the class set up wizard.
Getting your students started
Students can either enroll in your class by creating a user profile and using your class ID and password, or you can add students to the class yourself.
To have your students enroll:
- Give your students the class ID number and enrollment password for your course.
- Instruct your students to create their own user profiles using the class enrollment wizard. Here are the instructions for students.
- For detailed instructions on using Turnitin, please refer to the information below:
- Turnitin interactive demo
- Setting up your Turnitin Instructor Account
- Turnitin Feedback Studio Instructor Guide
- More information is available from York's Academic Integrity website.
Please note that York’s institutional license for Turnitin is limited to the Plagiarism Prevention Tool. Additional services offered by Turnitin, such as Peer Review, Grademark, Gradebook and Digital Portfolio, are not part of York’s licensing agreement.