The first time you open your new Office 2016 suite, you will be prompted to configure your Office account and manage some of your computer’s settings. These actions are listed below with instructions on how to complete them.
- Confirm your Installation of Office 2016 was a success
- Activate office 2016 using Passport York
- Reset Lotus Notes as your default Email Client
What's changed in Office 2016
For an overview of things that may look a little different in Office 2016 please see the following document (PDF).
Confirm Installation was a Success
To check if your installation of Office 2016 was successful, follow these steps:
If you are using a Windows device
- Click the “Start” icon, located in the bottom-left corner of the taskbar
- Select “All Programs”
- Now, look through your programs for any Office 2016 apps. They will not be located in a single folder like Office 2010; instead, Office 2016 apps will be displayed in alphabetical order. If you see any Office 2016 apps, then your installation was a success!
If you are using a Mac
- Select the “Launchpad” icon, located on the dock
- Now, look through your applications for any Office 2016 apps. If you see any Office 2016 apps, then your installation was a success!
Activate Office 2016 using Passport York
The first time you open Office 2016, it will prompt you to sign in and activate it using your Passport York email and password. To activate Office 2016:
- When Microsoft’s “Account Updated” screen prompts you, click “OK”
- Now, review and accept the terms of the Microsoft Office License Agreement
- On the “Sign in” screen, enter your Passport York email address
- Click “Next”
- Now, select the “Work or school” option
- Finally, sign into Office 365 using your Passport York email and password
Reset Lotus Notes as your Default
The Office 2016 update will set Outlook as your default email client. When you first log into Lotus Notes after the Office 2016 installation, you will be prompted to set Lotus Notes as your default email client.
To set Lotus Notes as your default email client:
- First, open Lotus Notes and sign in
- When the “IBM Lotus Notes” popup opens, select the “In the future, do not perform this check” box
- Then, click “Yes”
Note: We have installed Outlook 2016 in preparation for the Email Migration Project occurring later this Fall. Please refrain from opening Outlook as it is not yet configured for use.