York's Transition to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
The existing voice communication infrastructure, originally installed in 1997, is outdated and costly to maintain. It also lacks the capabilities of the current generation of voice technology systems the University needs to handle our advanced communication requirements.
Highlights and Implementation Timeline
Starting in 2013, the University began preparing for an upgrade of its telephone system to a modern standards-based system utilizing proven technology. To be able to deploy this new technology, several other initiatives were required to pave the way for readiness:
- Core data network upgrade, for increased network redundancy and reliability
- Building network equipment upgrades, for increased reliability and to provide Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Data network redesign and code upgrades, to improve capability to support VoIP
- Core telephone system upgrade, to provide VoIP capability
- VoIP technology deployment pilots to Life Sciences Building, Kinsmen and 4747 Keele St.
Much of the work above has been completed as of summer 2015, and deployment of the new phones has begun, in planned phases as below:
- Osgoode Professional Development Centre (Completed)
- Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence (Completed)
- York Lions Stadium (Completed)
- Glendon Campus (Completed)
- Steacie Science Library (Completed)
- York Gate (Completed)
- Life Sciences Building (Completed)
- 4747 Keele Street (Completed)
- West Office Building (Completed)
- Kaneff Tower (Completed)
- Kinsmen Building (Completed)
- Markham Hub (Completed)
- William Small Centre (November 2017)
- Student Centre (November 2017)
- McLaughlin College (December 2017)
- Ross Building (January 2018)
- Next deployment schedule to be announced in January 2017
Recent and Upcoming Activity
Nov 27, 2017: UIT will begin deploying the new Polycom VoIP phones in William Small Centre. Existing phones will continue to function until the cut-over date.
Nov 29, 2017: UIT will begin deploying the new Polycom VoIP phones in the Student Centre. Existing phones will continue to function until the cut-over date.
Dec 4, 2017: UIT will begin deploying the new Polycom VoIP phones in McLaughlin College. Existing phones will continue to function until the cut-over date.
Jan 2018: UIT will begin the process for deployment of the new Polycom VoIP phones in the Ross Building. The building will be deployed over a period of two weeks. Existing phones will continue to function until the cut-over date.
VoIP Transition Resources
Those transitioning to VoIP phones can access the resources below for assistance, or contact UIT Telecommunications help.