Once you have installed Microsoft Outlook 2007 click on Start | Programs | Microsoft Outlook and follow the steps below.
- On the menu bar click Tools | Account Settings...
- From the Account Settings window under the E-mail tab select NEW....
- Type in your Name and your York e-mail address in the following format: Scott Hall email@example.com.
- Place a check-mail ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types’.
- Click on Next.
- Select Internet E-mail
- Click on Next.
- Select Account Type: IMAP.
- Enter the following information:
- Incoming mail server: mypost.yorku.ca
- Outgoing mail server: mailrelay.yorku.ca
- User name
- Click the More Settings... button.
- Click the Advancedtab.Incoming server (IMAP) set port to 993
Use the following type of encryped connection: SSL.
- Outgoing server (SMTP Settings (follow one of the two options below):A)If you are using an internet connection at York: Outgoing server (SMTP) set port to 587. Ensure that Use the following type of encrypted connection: Auto.
- Click on the Outgoing Server Tab.
- Enable My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Select Use same settings as my incoming mail.
No check marks should be placed beside:
- Remember Password
- Login using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
A.) Note that in most cases using York's SMTP server will work even if you are not using York as your Internet Service Provider.
- If you are using another ISP such as Rogers, Bell, etc., then you can contact your ISP for their outgoing mail server settings
- Type INBOX. in the Root folder path field.
- Click OK. Click Next.
- The Login window will appear. Type your username password and click OK.
- Click Finish.
You can now use Microsoft Outlook to send and receive email.
NOTE: If you are using an Internet Service Provider other than York (Sympatico, Rogers or any other) you can now send e-mail to non-York email addresses through York's sent-mail server (refer to step 11 for Off Campus Instructions).
If this does not work for you, you will have to contact your Internet Service Provider and ask them for the name of their outgoing mail server, also called an SMTP server. Then enter the outgoing mail server name in the field provided in the Outgoing Email Server screen. Without this you won't be able to send, reply or forward mail.